Saturday 19 January 2013

Dream the Waves


Life Buoy (Circle Poem) (2006) by Alec Finlay
The moment we had weathered the angle of the Essex coast, bearing to the north, we found ourselves in another element. The waves began to enlarge, with a sullen and angry look, like sea-horses of an enormous size; insultingly they approached us, rolling one after the other with elevated crests and foaming jaws, as if they would swallow us at once. For my part I did not like it ; I could not look in any direction but these monsters presented themselves, and I grew sick at the sight. I was quite horrified, laid myself down on the deck, and shut my eyes till the next morning. A thick fog came on the next day, and bore down the turbulent waves, which was more agreeable to me.

from Music and friends: or, Pleasant recollections of a dilettante (1838) by William Gardiner.

No comments:

Post a Comment